Yesterday we got back into town after a very bittersweet weekend. It was bitter because on Friday afternoon we got a call from my sister-in-law telling us that Richard's grandpa had very tragically passed away. We rushed home to pack for the weekend and left town about 20 minutes after we got the call to be with my mother and father-in-law because they were having a very hard time. He was 93 years old, so we knew that this time would come soon, but it caught us very off guard. His dear wife had passed away April of 2006 and after her passing he started to rapidly go down hill. My wonderful father-in-law is his only child and therefore my in-laws were the only family he had. Their families were very close and so he was like a second father to Richard. He lived about 30 seconds away from Richard almost his whole life and they always did things together. So this made his passing much more difficult to the family. I really loved Gene and so it was hard for me as well. We went to my in-laws and were expecting to be the only family to be with them for the weekend because everyone lives so far away, but huge blessings happened and each of Richard's siblings were able to come into town to be with their parents and each other during this hard time. The funeral on Tuesday was sad, but it was a great support to everyone to have the whole family back together again.
So this was the sweet part: I love Richard's family and it was so much fun to all be together. There were nights of movies, a lot of talking and laughing and just plain fun together. In the frantic packing that we did (packed in about 2 minutes) I forgot to bring my camera so I don't have any pictures of the fun times we had together this last weekend! I think one of my sister-in-laws had a camera so if she sends out pictures, I will upload them later. I married into an amazing family and I really do love them like my own family. Even though it was a sad reason for our gathering, it was so fun to see all of them. I am so incredibly blessing to have such wonderful in-laws that I have come to love so greatly.
Even though it was a sad weekend and we will greatly miss him, we know that we will see him again. He was a great man and I am so excited to tell our little kids the amazing and epic stories about their great-grandpa Gene, the sailor, the fisher, the log-home builder and the wonderful grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment