Friday, August 12, 2011

Life's an hour glass.

I wanted to take a break from my crazy nesting urge I have had recently and write down a little experience and realization I had yesterday.
I was sitting at the table helping Liam eat his lunch in his high chair, while listening to music. Of course, one of my favorite artists Mindy Gledhill came on and the song "Hourglass" started playing. I turned it up, sang a long and the lyrics hit me like a brick. "Life's an hourglass". She is singing to a little boy and talking about how life goes so fast. I watched my little, sweet, happy boy enjoying his pears and I started balling (and I hardly ever cry). Like tears running down my face as I realized that he is getting so big so fast and I couldn't get over how much I absolutely adore and love him. Of course it made it worse when he looked up, gave me his beautiful smile, opened his arms wide to hug me and said "mama, mama"! Then I really lost it. 
When I was younger I wanted a family full of girls. I wanted the bows, the dresses, the ballet slippers, everything. I am SOOOO girly and I didn't think I could be a good mom to a boy. But then I had a boy. And he has stolen my heart. Now I want a family full of boys!! He has taught me so much. I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a little boy. Of course, I cannot wait to have a girl, but I see now why moms talk about how uniquely special little boys are. He is so happy, so sweet, so loving (like more than any other baby I have seen) and loves life so much. Boys do have more energy but I love that! Through his energy and love to experience life constantly, running around with a huge smile wanting to experience and learn as much as he can, I have learned that we should yearn to experience life, rather than just live it. I love how active he is. It keeps me from being stagnant and boring. I love experiencing and learning things through him. But because he wants to learn so much, he stops to smell flowers, watch the ants, touch the leaves and dance in the puddles. He shows me that we should experience life, but also stop to enjoy it! All in all, having a little, sweet, happy, active little boy has taught me so much. Shown me how to enjoy life to a whole new level. How to enjoy every moment. How to make more of my life. I hope that I have a lot more boys and that everyone gets to experience the wonderful joy of having a sweet, little boy of their own! (I am not saying that boys are better than girls, but just that they are wonderful and amazing. It really bothers me when people say a certain gender is better than another. They are just different in their own ways, but every child and baby is just as wonderful as another one).

Little boy, when you speak
I can't help but kiss your cheeks
I love the way you grab my hands
And tell me all about your plans

Rocket high, comets fly
You and I could take a ride
And fly away to Neverland
And give our best to Peter Pan

When you reach for the stars
Don't forget who you are
And please don't turn around and grow up way too fast
See the sand in my grasp
From the first to the last
Every grain becomes a memory of the past
Oh, life's an hourglass
Life's an hourglass

Story's read, prayer is said
Close your eyes sleepyhead
While angels linger in your dreams
And hold you in their feathered wings

Just like you, I was small
Not that long ago at all
I wish you all the happiness
That God gives freely if you ask

(Heck, just listen to the song...with a box of tissues near by):



Photobucket

2 comments:

Braiden & Sharon Willey said...

Thanks for the cry, Im such a baby! I cried today while Marlo snuggled me and I realized she turns 1 in 5 weeks.

A & L said...

He is lucky to have such a sweet woman for his mama!!