I am finally back in the kitchen making dinners that require more than a couple steps and it feels so nice! I started out with a dinner thats more simple, but really tasty! :) We both really liked it! I found a blog that has great recipes and one of them was a recipe for Hawaiian haystack sauce. It was a huge hit! I was going to take a picture but we both devoured it so quick there was no chance for a picture. But there is one on the blog where I got the recipe...as if people don't know what Hawaiian haystacks look like! ;)
mmm...wish we had leftovers because I want some more! Enjoy!
Chicken sauce for Hawaiian haystacks
*Makes about 4 cups chicken sauce (enough to serve 4-6 for Hawaiian Haystacks)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks (or leftover cooked chicken, cubed)
3 tablespoons butter (note: in order to make it more healthy, I used only 2 tbsp)
½ onion (about ½ cup), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic; finely minced
1 teaspoon salt (note: also cut the salt in half)
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion and raw chicken (if using leftover cooked chicken, don’t add it to the skillet now, you’ll add it later). Saute the onion and chicken, if using, until the onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring, until fragrant.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and chicken and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for one minute - this helps get rid of the starchy, flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat. Add the salt and pepper. If you are using leftover cooked chicken, add it now. Continue simmering, stirring the sauce frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Serve the chicken sauce over rice with your toppings of choice, such as olives, tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, green onions, mandarin oranges and chow mein noodles.
Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe (I feel guilty for copying and pasting the recipe from her blog but I decided to do it for convenience so you don't have to visit another blog. So here is the link to the recipe. TOTALLY check out her blog! It's awesome!!)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks (or leftover cooked chicken, cubed)
3 tablespoons butter (note: in order to make it more healthy, I used only 2 tbsp)
½ onion (about ½ cup), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic; finely minced
1 teaspoon salt (note: also cut the salt in half)
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion and raw chicken (if using leftover cooked chicken, don’t add it to the skillet now, you’ll add it later). Saute the onion and chicken, if using, until the onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring, until fragrant.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and chicken and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for one minute - this helps get rid of the starchy, flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat. Add the salt and pepper. If you are using leftover cooked chicken, add it now. Continue simmering, stirring the sauce frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Serve the chicken sauce over rice with your toppings of choice, such as olives, tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, green onions, mandarin oranges and chow mein noodles.
Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe (I feel guilty for copying and pasting the recipe from her blog but I decided to do it for convenience so you don't have to visit another blog. So here is the link to the recipe. TOTALLY check out her blog! It's awesome!!)
And just because I can't have a post without a picture, here is one of my little man...
Ok well two. I couldn't decide which one to put on. The other day I decided I had to capture what his hair looks like! It's adorable! He totally has a natural faux-hawk! But surprisingly, these pictures don't even do it justice so I will try again for a better one. His hair is ADORABLE! I seriously sometimes just hold him up to my face and rub his hair on my cheek! weird I know, but I can't help it!!!
Here is a video that we took yesterday of Liam when he was sleeping! He was holding his hands in a funny way so I had to capture it! :)

1 comment:
Kens Hawaiian Haystacks are on of my favorite meals!! Mmm soo yummy I will for sure try that recipe!! Baby is cuter then ever!! Video his pose looks just like all those super man shots that guys do hehe! That is really funny he already has it down!!
Post a Comment