Monday, November 16, 2009

Month of gratitude--Day 2 (aka: 28 week baby update)

So today I mentioned that I am so grateful to be starting my third trimester! The last stretch! Everything has been going really good these last few weeks! Our little guy has seemed to be a little cramped and I can feel that in his movements. He is now in my ribs (and at times it actually hurts) and on the far side of my belly. I can feel him stretch out sometimes as he pushes on my hips and I can feel his head/hands on the farthest side of the opposite side of my stomach! Poor guy! He still is going to about triple his weight! As he grows not only do I feel kicks/punches but also strong sliding movements and others that push my stomach out. Also I have felt my tummy really stretch and is pretty heavy lately...which will also get worse! But I still love pregnancy and even those uncomfortable times! It is so amazing.

The other thing I mentioned that I was grateful for was that I had my 28 week appointment today and everything went really well!! I have been trying to eat as healthy as I can so that I give our little guy the best chance possible. Today was the dreaded glucose tolerance test which I was not looking forward to and hoping that my good eating would pay off. The drink would probably be bearable to other people, but since I hardly ever drink pop/soda the amount of sugar was overwhelming for me! But they tested me and I came back perfect!! I was so relieved. So no gestational diabetes here! My iron did come back a tad bit low so I am just going to stock up on spinach, meat and all those iron rich things. They also measured his heart rate which again came back perfect! He must not like the doppler because he kicked at it again until they stopped just like last month! Little stinker! :) The doctor also measured me and I am measuring at 30cm which is just what they want, but on the "bigger" end of good! :) You are supposed to measure as high as how many weeks you are (so 28cm at 28 weeks) but they say anything + or -2 is fine. I have always measured on the bigger end of the spectrum so I wasn't surprised. Also, my weight is right on target and my blood pressure was perfect which is good.

So for my favorite story of the past couple weeks: the other day I was sitting on the couch and I could feel something pushing really hard against my stomach so I put my hand on it to try and figure out what it was. As I was feeling around it I think he decided he didn't like that so he kicked me really hard! I thought it was cute so I kept trying to figure out what it was and he kept kicking me until I stopped! He sure knows how to enforce his boundaries! :)

This week my friend who works at Old Navy gave me a coupon to take 30% off of anything and so I did a little shopping online! I have been trying to find cute, warm things for our little guy and hadn't been able to find anything! But I was so glad to find these cute little things that I couldn't resist buying (and which I CANNOT wait to come):
(I couldn't resist buying this little shirt!!! So cute. And yes, I love brown and blue! haha. Brown, blue and green are going to be his nursery colors.)

I am so excited to see our little guy in these cute little things! I am also working on crocheting him a blanket which I will post pictures of when I am done! I love doing all these little things to prepare because it makes me so dang excited!

Here is what he is doing this week (from whattoexpect.com): "Your baby is settling into the proper position for birth, with his head facing downward (toward your body's nearest exit!). Your little work in progress is now about 2.5 pounds and almost 16 inches long. He's busy adding new skills such as blinking to an already impressive repertoire of tricks like coughing, sucking, hiccuping, and taking practice breaths. Your baby's sleep now includes the REM (rapid eye movement) phase — and that means he could be dreaming already (what do you suppose he's dreaming about?). Though his lungs are nearly fully mature (so both of you might breathe a little easier if he were born now), your baby still has plenty of growing to do."

And last but not least, for your viewing pleasure, my belly today at 28 weeks (and a day):

P.S...I hope you guys aren't getting totally sick of these updates. They are mostly my way of keeping my pregnancy documented. I am horrible at keeping a written journal so my blog has become my journal. Hope you don't find it annoying! :)


Photobucket

1 comment:

Katie G. said...

Mckenna you are the most adorable pregnant woman. I love hearing your updates. It's good to know everyone is healthy and doing well!