Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekly traditions

As I was making pizza tonight for dinner, I got thinking about traditions. Not just the normal family traditions on big holidays like Christmas, birthdays and Valentines. But the weekly traditions of a family. My family growing up was really good at doing weekly traditions, a lot of which I have brought into my own little family. Some of them are:

--FHE on Mondays no matter what (we are trying really hard to be 100% on this one)
--Friday is game or movie night as a family
--Saturday is deep cleaning day (except I have moved this to every Fridays so I can spend time with Richard on Saturdays)
--Saturday is temple day
--Saturday is also pizza for dinner night
--Saturday is also date night for mommy and daddy (date nights with the hubby ROCK! I love an excuse to spend time one on one with my best friend)
--Sunday is (obviously) day to go to church and dedicated to Christ
Daily traditions include:
--Dinner as a family every night
--Family prayer and scripture study every night (also trying to be 100% on this one)

With a baby on the way, I have been trying to think of other weekly and even daily traditions that I want to create for our little family. Traditions are so good for kids and the unity of a family. Some of my most fond memories growing up have been with my family during these weekly and daily traditions.

So my question is this:
What are some weekly traditions you do in your family?

And because every time I hear the word "tradition" I think of the greatest movie ever (Fiddler on the Roof) here is a clip of the song "Tradition" from the movie for you to enjoy! Gotta love it! They did this as a play at Richard's high school when he was a freshman and it was one of his first plays that he was in. He was probably the cutest Russian ever :) Seriously, I love this movie (and Debra I have to say, I am so jealous you are seeing it in Seattle!!!)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Mindy said...

We eat the same meal every Sunday when we get home from church...cheese quesadillas and chocolate milk. It sounds like it would be strange together, but it is actually really good. I like that it takes the guesswork out of mealtime. Plus, it is fast, easy and does not make a huge mess!

Tifanie said...

I love that you are thinking about this! I was thinking the same thing the other day. Family dinner is important to me, but with Tad working nights it looks like it will just be me and baby most of the week! Our one weekly tradition that we always do is make a big breakfast Sunday morning! Right now it is like waffles or pancakes or french toast, but once I don't have to eat a million calories a day we will tone it down a bit to something healthier. I always look forward to sunday breakfast...yum!