A while ago, I entertained the thought of changing my major to something that would help me graduate sooner. I love my current degree (Psychology) and all of the things I have been learning, but I started to think about graduating with it. Honestly, there is NOTHING that I wanted to do with that major. I really wish I would have thought of that as a Freshman! But, in my defense, I went in to Psychology with all of the intentions to go on and get a higher degree so that I could do experimental Psychology to test some theories that I have. However, when I got married right after my freshman year the family/wife bug bit me and I realized that a masters or a Ph.D (which was required for my Psychology goals) was not what I wanted anymore. I should really have switched majors then, but I felt like I should stay. In fact, I went to change several times and met dead ends. So then this year as graduation was getting closer I started to seriously think. I realized that my family goals were also taking a back seat to my education. My grades and my classes were the most important and I wasn't doing things to ensure my family goals. So I looked into switching to a degree called University studies (which allows to me to not only study Psychology but Marriage & family studies as well as sociology) and found out that instead of having 24 credits left (but these were 24 really hard classes...smart Kenna saved her hardest classes for the end...) I would have 12 with this new degree. So after some pros and cons lists, stress and prayers I decided to put my application in to change my major. That was scary! Well, today I found out that my major was changed and I can officially graduate in April!!!!!!!!! I can't wait.
At the beginning of this semester before knowing if my major was officially changed, I still felt a little sad that my college education was almost over. After 3 years of hard hard work I finally saw the blessing of college education. I would sit in my class and with the bittersweet knowledge that this could be my last semester, I realized that this whole 3 year journey has been a great blessing. I have learned a lot of good things and had some really fun classes with my DEAR husband. But, I also feel like it is time to move on and focus on having a family. I am very thankful that I have been given to opportunity to accomplish one of my goals to be a college graduate and get my bachelors. It will be REALLY weird to not be in school anymore after I graduate because from preschool until now, I have only taken 1 year off after I was married! But, I am excited to really enjoy this last semester as a college student!
Another new development that I am really excited about, is that I have been called to serve as a counselor in my wards relief society!! I cannot wait to serve the girls in my relief society because they are all such wonderful girls! When I heard that I was going to be given a calling, I was really afraid to be taken out of relief society because the lessons are always so awesome and the girls are amazing! Also, Richard and I were called the other day to meet with the temple presidency and they asked us if we would be willing to be official temple workers (a calling rather than volunteer)!! But they said that it would be a minimum 6 hour weekly commitment and considering our really busy semester, they said that school (future job) is more important so they sent us home to think about it. We know that the blessings would be wonderful, but with Richard possibly having to apply to law school, good grades are imperative. So if both of us can't do it this semester, we are DEFINITELY going to do it sometime together before we leave (hopefully next semester). But we are still hoping to somehow work it out to serve in the temple this semester. It has been a dream of mine to serve in the temple, so that is another reason I am REALLY excited to graduate soon because I will be able to serve in the temple on the weekends.
And these are just some of the reasons why after we got the call from the temple president (at this point, it was only the 8th) that I turned to Richard and said "I am even more excited for 2009 and it's only 8 days in!"
I really am excited for this new year.
I really am excited for this new year.
So on that note...back to my homework!!
5 comments:
temple workers! :D that's awesome! Brian and I did that in Provo for about 10 months. I worked behind the desk at initiatory and my other favorite was working at the veil. It's so cool to have a lot of it memorized! You will love it! :)
...that is, if you decide to do it. ;)
Congrats on almost graduating...it is a bit of an adjustment but you'll love the free time you'll have without homework. Temple workers! My goodness I didn't know you could do that so young, what an awesome opportunity!
Your soooooo awesome! Congrats on your new calling. That's fun! It's also way cool that you get to graduate so soon. Good luck this semester.
oh mckenna that is awesome!! i am graduating with univerity studies too, but in july. i cant wait!
Post a Comment